|Source||Favourite Sierra Leone Recipes by Pamela Greene|
1 hour, 30 minutes
2 hours, 10 minutes
West Africans like to eat leaves. Here is a recipe which uses bologie and bitters leaves. Leaves contain many value vitamins for the health of the body.
How to make Bologie and Bitters?
1. Put 2 cups water into saucepan to boil. Add ogiri, pepper and onions and cook slowly for 10 minutes.
2. Add cubed beef or oxtail pieces, and boil gently to soften all meat. Add rest of the water as it evaporates.
3. Add palm oil and pig's foot pieces and cook gently to remove the raw flavour from palm oil.
4. Add shredded bologie and bitter leaves. Cook gently until the leaves are tender, adding water as it evaporates.
5. Add some water to the egusi in a bowl and mix into a smooth paste and this to the sauce and continue cooking. The sauce thickens as it cooks. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and add more water if it becomes too dry and thick.
6. Add flaked fish; cockle and oyster (if fresh). Dried cockle and oyster if used should be added at stage 2.
7. Add salt to taste. Cover saucepan and cook gently until desired thickening or consistency is achieved.
8. Serve with hot foofoo or rice or any other carbohydrate food such as agidi.
- Print View
- Plain Text