1 hour, 30 minutes
1 hour, 50 minutes
Beef is reserved for special occasions
How to make Gambian Beef Stew Aubergine Sauce?
1. Season the cubed beef with the thyme, salt and pepper.
2. Heat 15ml oil in a pan and fry the meat for 8-10 minutes, until browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Add the remaining oil to the pan.
3. Fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes.
4. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, Stir in the tomatoes paste mixed spice, chilli and thyme, and then add the remaining thyme, and then add the reserved beef and stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Cut the aubergine into 1cm dice. Stir into the beef mixture and cook, cover for a further 30 minutes, until the beef is completely tender. Adjust the seasoning and serve hot.