|Source||What's Cooking Today by Muriel Emekunle Davies|
1 hour, 30 minutes
3 hours, 30 minutes
Joloff Rice from What's Cooking Today by Muriel Emekunle Davies
Joloff Rice or Jolloff Rice?
How do you cook Joloff Rice?
1. Soak the salt pork and beef for about 1-2 hours to remove some salt.
2. Prepare chicken and beef and cut into neat pieces.
3. Cut up salt pork and beef and put into a saucepan with fresh beef and add some water. Cook till tender.
4. Season chicken and fry on hot groundnut, oil remove. Fry tender salt beef, pork and fresh beef, remove.
5. Prepare vegetables by grinding, add to hot oil and make a gravy. Add tomato to puree, thyme cut up finely, fried beef and chicken and a little liquid. Simmer for about fifteen minutes to blend all the flavours.
6. Remove some piece of chicken and beef and reserve in a warm dish ("to dish") for "dressing" at a later stage.
7. Wash rice and drain. Add enough water to the prepared stew and boil.
8. Put in the rice, and salt to taste, stir, cover the lid. Boil again briskly for five minutes and reduce the heat. Watch frequently and stir occasionally.
9. When most of the water has been absorbed, check the grains. If hard sprinkle a little water and cover the lid tightly again. Continue this process till the grains are soft.
10. Leave over a very low heat till ready to serve.
11. Serve in a meat dish or tureen with the rice dished out first and then garnish and dress with the chicken and meat already cooked with the rice, and the extras which were kept in the warm dish.
12. Serve with the green boiled vegetables example string peas, cabbage or choe-choe.