|Source: Tomi Makanjuola|
In this mouth-watering recipe, the yam is boiled until soft and then pounded to a thick, dough-like consistency. This is served with a generous side of egusi, a spinach and crushed melon seed stew that is nutritious and bursting with little pockets of flavour.
How to make Pounded Yam And Egusi?
1. To make the pounded yam, boil the yam in some salted water until soft. Place in a food processor and blend with a little water until you have a thick, smooth consistency. Place in a bowl, ready to be served with the egusi soup.
2. To make the egusi soup, start by blending the peppers, tomatoes and onion with a little water to form a thick paste.
3. Heat the palm oil in a large pot and add the blended paste. Season with salt.
4. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
5. Add the chopped spinach and sprinkle the ground egusi over the top of the spinach. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes until the egusi starts to cake.
6. Mix the stew and cook uncovered for a further 10 minutes.
7. Serve hot with the pounded yam.