|Source: Tokunbo’s Kitchen|
How to make Ayamase?
1. Add peppers, half locust beans and half onion into a blender.
Process into a coarse almost smooth texture. Pour mixture into a
strainer to drain out excess water.
2. Heat Palm oil in a large pot with a tightly fitted cover for 10
minutes on medium - high heat. As this will get very smokey, leave the
cover on the pot during this bleaching process. Remove from heat and
leave for about 5 minutes.
3. Once the smoke is gone, return to high heat, add in remaining
locust beans and chopped onions. Fry until the onion turns a bit
4. Add in crayfish if using, pepper mixture, salt and maggi cubes.
Stir to combine.
5. Reduce to low-medium heat and cook the sauce until the oil floats
to the top (about 45 minutes to 1 hour).
- 6-8 green peppers
- 3 ata rodo (scotch bonnet) adjust according to level of preferable spice
- 1 large red onion (half chopped / thinly sliced)
- 1 cup of Iru (fermented locust beans)
- 1 1/2 cups of smoked crayfish (optional)
- 2 cups palm oil
- 3 maggi cubes
- salt to taste