|Source: Favourite Sierra Leone Recipes by Pamela Greene|
|Prep time: 4 hours||Cooking time: 35 minutes||Total time: 4 7⁄12 hours|
Peppered chicken made with chicken, peanut butter, tomato paste limes with cayenne pepper.
How to make Peppered Chicken?
1. Wash and drain chicken; remove all hair and excess skin.
2. Cut each chicken into four so that there will be two pieces per person (a leg and wing section).
3. Cut lime squeeze out juice through a sieve over chicken and rub all over for even distribution.
4. Add salt to taste. Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
5. Mix tomato paste, peanut butter, black and cayenne pepper and oil and some lime juice exuded from the chicken, into a thick paste.
6. Rub this paste all over the chicken pieces and allow to stand for at least one hour. The longer it stands the better the flavour. Do not leave for a whole day as the chicken will begin to deteriorate.
7. String two pieces on each skewer and gill over hot coal fire slowly, turning each skewer over as it cooks.
8. Brush seasoning mixture over side after turning and cook until meat is tender and well done.
9. Serve hot or cold.
You may wish to add other seasonings and flavourings for variety such as garlic, curry.