|Source||Joana (Aftrad Village Kitchen)|
1 hour, 20 minutes
Jollof Rice is a favourite West African party dish thought to have originated with the Wolof tribe in Senegal. However, the constant banta between some countries throws some uncertainty about its originality and who cooks it best. Cooking the best Jollof Rice can be a bit tricky and a skill that needs to be mastered and perfected. I personally didn't like cooking Jollof until I formulated a recipe which is a no fool proof recipe. Ever since then, I'm always happy to cook Jollof even in my sleep! The recipe is so easy to follow you won't believe how quickly you'll transform into a Jollof PRO. Follow my 5 easy steps to turn into a pro.
SERVES: 4 - 6
5 Easy Steps T Cook Jollof Like A Pro
1. Place blended tomatoes, passata and bay leaves in a medium sized heavy based pot. Simmer mixture into a paste. Once done transfer into another bowl.
2. Blend ginger, onion and garlic into a paste. Add a splash of water to help with blending.
3. In the same pot used for simmering the tomatoes, heat up the oil until sizzling hot. Add the onion/ garlic/ ginger blend, use a splash of water to deglaze the pot if needed. Fry until it looks like breadcrumbs then add 1 tablespoon of Aftrad Village Kitchen 10 Spice Blend. Stir for about 30s to release the oils from the spices. Now add the tomato paste, stir and fry for about 5 minutes, then add the other spoon of Aftrad Village Kitchen 10 spice blend, add salt to taste fry for another 5 minutes. Ensure seasoning is a little overpowering at this stage.
4. Wash the rice in a colander until the water runs out clear. Add the washed rice to the stew, mix well and let it fry for 3minutes. Add the boiling water, check seasoning and add a bit of salt to taste if needed. Cover and let all the water simmer into the rice.
5. Now cover rice with two layers of aluminium foil and pot lid. Lower the heat, preferably move to the smallest hob and on very low heat. Let the steam cook the rice. Only stir with a fork about 30minutes into the cooking time. Let the rice cook until soft.
Serve Jollof rice with your favorite meat such as kebabs, garnish Jollof with chopped with coriander, onions, spring onions and vine tomatoes.
Facebook: Aftrad Village Kitchen