|Prep time: 20 minutes||Cooking time: 1 1⁄4 hours||Total time: 1 7⁄12 hours|
Watchi (Ghanaian Black-Eyed Peas and Rice) a delicious dish from Ghana and one of the most famous. Maybe also spelling Wakye or Waakye or Wache - rice and beans is a typical Ghanaian meal cooked and served on the weekend with stew. A typical waakye meal usually consists of the cooked rice and beans, shito (hot black pepper sauce) and stew. The dish is characterised by its burgundy or brown color. The overall cooking time is 1 hour 15 minutes for this recipe.
How to cook Watchi, Wakye or Waakye or Wache?
1. Take blackeye beans which have been soaked over night and boilded cooked leave to one side.
2. Prepare the rice which should be long grain rice (sticky rice type).
3. Add water to par boil beans and 3 cups of water to cook waakye.
4. Add tsp Watchi (Waakye) powder or bicarbonate of soda.
5. Add stalks of Watchi (Waakye) leaves (millet leaves) tied in a bunch.
6. Salt to taste.