|Source||Favourite Sierra Leone Recipes by Pamela Greene|
1 hour, 30 minutes
Ebeh (cassava, sweet potato and coco yam). Cooked in palm oil which provides vitamin A.
How to make Ebeh?
1. Fry onion and pepper in heated oil.
2. Add flaked fish and salt. Cook slowly for a few minutes and then set aside.
3. Wash and cut up all the cassava, yam, sweet potatoes. Put in a sauce pan of water and boil until almost soft. Some may take longer to soften than others therefore it is advisable to remove those that soften first and set aside until the rest have softened.
4. Drain any excess liquid and leave enough to continue to cook the vegetables to a very soft but mushy texture.
5. Add the palm oil fish stew to the vegetables and continue to cooking until all the ingredients are well blended.
6. Serve hot.
The more fish and other protein rich foods like shrimps are added to Ebeh the more nutritious it becomes. If no protein food is added the dish is high in calorie value due to the abundance of carbohydrate (starch) and fat (oil). The palm oil provides needed vitamin A.
- Print View
- Plain Text